Your Ad Here

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

LIT HITS
DAY TWO: Y.A. COMING OF AGE

Most of my favorite books (or movies, or music, or tv) deal with a similar theme: coming of age. Perhaps it's because that's precisely where I am in life right now, even though I haven't been in high school for nearly six years. Still, I find the teenage years to be the most interesting to read about, and these selections portray them brilliantly.



The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
A captivating read, Wallflower's told exclusively through letters from Charlie (the young protagonist) to an undisclosed, mystery person. The letters are at times hilarious, at times quite dark, and always realistic. Wallflower seems to be the teen book of choice (at least in the States) and is considered by many as a modern classic. I've yet to recommend it to someone who hasn't loved it. Don't let the "MTV Books" label stop you from picking this up.



The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
I read this when I was studying/working over in England last Spring/Summer. It was the perfect book at the time, because the setting is the Pacific Northwest, which is the area of the U.S. that I grew up in. For anyone who has grown up amongst tide pools, shoreline and the magic of the sea (or anyone who thinks that sounds interesting), this book will instantly ring true. It doesn't hurt that the main character, awkwardly fascinating Miles, and his sex obsessed best friend Phelps (with his "fuck you bangs"), are two of the most enjoyable characters since some guys called Tom and Huck.



Feed by M.T. Anderson
The only sci-fi book on my list today, Feed is extremely topical today and probably resonated with me more than any of the others here. A biting satire, the book shows us a (not-too) future world where computers, internet and television are surgically hooked up to everybody's brain, resulting in what is referred to as the Feed. What happens, though, when teenage boy Titus meets a girl who has ideas of going against the Feed? Needless to say, the ensuing struggle is harrowing, culminating in a wicked finale. It'll take a few chapters to get into this one, because even though the language is simple, Anderson has gone to great lengths to write in a post-Feed language. Brilliant book.



King Dork by Frank Portman
I can't say too much about this one, since I'm currently about a third through it. So far, though, the biting humor and near perfect writing have got me absolutely hooked. If you're into teen lit, music (and why would you be here if you weren't) and sarcasm, pick this up. I'm loving it so far!

Buy all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home