Your Ad Here

Friday, July 11, 2008

Flashback Friday: James Freud - Modern Girl



"There she stood, this fancy fashion creature"

I love it when I discover older songs that sound to me like direct precursors to some of my favorite music of today. Take James Freud (a glam-pop artist popular in Australia in the 80's). I can completely see Melody Club singing this song, Modern Girl. It's got that great, glossy, synthy sound and it's ridiculously catchy. Unfortunately, I haven't found another song by him that's this good. It's a shame, because if all of his stuff was this perfect, he might almost be as good as Melody Club! As it stands, for me he's a one hit wonder. The video is quite entertaining as well. Campy as hell, of course, but that makes it all the better... a perfect representation of videos in 1980.

James Freud - Modern Girl (zshare)

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists! Download the long out of print album here.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Man, memories of that song make me feel so old!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note.
James Freud was also in a band called 'James Freud Berlin' around the same time and went to England to work with Gary Numan - although nothing was released. Check out the Australian Band, The Models - James Freud joined them in the mid 80's and they continued to make great music. I would suggest the 'Out of Mind, Out of Sight' Lp with the title song off the album.
He also published his autobiography a couple of years ago.
Great website.
Many thanks, John

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home