Your Ad Here

Friday, February 20, 2009

Alienhits loves... The Oscars!



Best Picture
I would have voted for Doubt, had it been nominated, or even The Dark Knight. Given the five nominees--I've seen all of them--I’d go for Milk. It was the most powerful story of the five and the most relevant, with some incredible acting. The Reader’s second, followed by Frost/Nixon, followed by Benjamin Button and then Slumdog Millionaire--a rather overrated movie if you ask me. Generally I go with what movie affects me the most and has the most to say. Milk ticked off both of those boxes.
Should Win: Milk
Will Win: Slumdog Millionaire


Best Actor
This is a tough race this year. I liked The Wrestler and Mickey Rourke’s performance in it, but I felt like the character wasn’t too far off from the actor in that movie. Contrastingly, Sean Penn’s electric performance in Milk couldn’t have been farther from Penn himself. It completely made that movie, and elevated it from a stale biopic (like Ray was a couple of years ago). Frank Langella also gets props for Frost/Nixon, but it’s not at the same level as Penn’s performance in my opinion.
Should Win: Sean Penn
Will Win: Sean Penn


Best Actress
I’m a huge Streep fan and a big fan of Doubt in general, so Meryl just slightly edges out Kate Winslet for me on this one. Kate was great in the Reader and it was definitely a difficult role to play, but Doubt would have been much less without Meryl. To me, she made that movie. Melissa Leo was by far the best thing about Frozen River, and I wouldn’t necessarily mind her winning either, but the movie didn’t strike me as much as Doubt or the Reader did.
Should Win: Meryl Streep
Will Win: Kate Winslet


Best Supporting Actor
This is sorta a no-brainer. Heath Ledger’s performance in the Dark Knight made that movie what it was. None of the other nominees except Philip Seymour Hoffman (whose really much more of a lead than a supporting role) come close.
Should Win: Heath Ledger
Will Win: Heath Ledger


Best Supporting Actress
I think this category is the best chance for Doubt to win an award with Viola Davis’s striking performance. If it were up to me, though, I’d actually give the edge to Amy Adams, who gave a truly supporting performance and (at least for me) portrayed the emotional core of the film. It was an understated, brilliant and necessary role. A pity she’ll never win.
Should Win: Amy Adams
Will Win: Penelope Cruz or Viola Davis


Best Director
I actually wouldn’t mind seen either Danny Boyle or Gus Van Sant pick this up. Both are directors I’ve admired in the past and, although Slumdog Millionaire is far from Boyle’s best work, it would be nice to see him pick up a trophy for past glories. Van Sant’s direction in Milk is the more understated of the two, but equally compelling. I actually can’t decide between the two of them, though I think Boyle‘s pretty much guaranteed to go home with the award.
Should Win: Danny Boyle or Gus Van Sant
Will Win: Danny Boyle

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this year wasn't the best for movies.

Best Actress: While Meryl Streep is great in everything she does (exception for Mamma Mia), I think Kate Winslet really defined herself in 'The Reader'. After watching that movie I felt Winslet is the Streep of our generation and that should be recognized.

Best Actor: Sean Penn should win for Milk. I agree Milk was a pretty so/so biopic and for that I don't think it deserves best movie.

Supporting Actress: I wasn't moved by anyone's performance so I wouldn't care who won. I personally feel Amy Adams has more of a connection with the audience in her movies, but that's just my opinion.

Supporting Actor: Anyone BUT Heath Ledger should win. If Heath had not died then there wouldn't even be any discussion of an Oscar nomination. The only reason he'll win is because he's dead and also because he lost best leading actor for Brokeback Mountain. His version of the character 'the Joker' was just a darker version of what Jack Nicolson did, not a far stretch.

ON a side note: How is it possible media can villain-ize Michael Phelps for smoking a bong, but we can honor Ledger with an Oscar? Knowing many drug users, using sleeping pills to come down of cocaine is what seasoned pros do and that's how Heath died. I wonder how much of his acting was affected by his drug use.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home