Your Ad Here

Monday, February 02, 2009

"When you're not home we get along so good"

In honor of Sweden's Melodifestivalen starting on Saturday (I get more excited every year, though nothing will ever compare to the Ark for me), I'm going to post some of my favorite songs from Eurovision preselection rounds so far this year--Monday through Thursday.
Kicking it off is a song from Finland's contest. I'm very happy with their selection (the super poppy Waldo's People), mostly because it's not the tired metal type of song they usually pick. However, it wasn't my favorite song in the mix. That honor belongs to the curiously named rock band Vink. On the surface, they don't look like the kind of band I would like, but the song is stupendous. It's power-pop with a capital "P," and brings me back to bands like Cheap Trick and the Cars. Better yet, lead singer Masa's deliver is at times a dead-ringer for Ola Salo. I could imagine the Ark glamming this song up as part of their repertoire (right between Echo Chamber and Joy Surrender), and that's pretty much the biggest compliment I can give. The other songs on the band's myspace don't really grab me like this one does, but I'm hoping for an album full of this kind of bombastic, slightly electronic anthem later in the year. I've been obsessed with this song ever since I heard the first chorus.

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Listen to more here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home