Your Ad Here

Friday, December 18, 2009

Top 20 Albums of 2009: 18-17

18. Erik Hassle - Hassle



This album was delayed more times than I can count, and although I heard it early in the year months before it was finally released, it’s held up as my favorite album of this singer-songwriter type genre from the past few years. Buoyed by the two singles, the record does a great job of mixing styles and painting a picture of a very promising artist. Lyrically, it’s one of the stronger albums on my countdown, and has a real underdog charm similar to my favorite album of 2007 (Laakso’s Mother, Am I Good Looking?). I still believe that with the right push this guy could be huge in America. I mean, we like Gavin Degraw, and this is a hundred times more interesting.

Myspace

17. Hot Leg - Red Light Fever



I was a massive fan of the Darkness, and I know that’s an unpopular thing to admit in some circles. Nevertheless, I was saddened when they broke up, as I think that Justin Hawkins is a really gifted (if immature) songwriter. Luckily, the debut effort by his next band sounded very much like the Darkness Part II. It’s not a perfect record, but the highlights are very high. Most importantly, it’s a lot of fun. The band is unashamed when it comes to the much maligned genre of 80’s pomp rock. Surprising, then, was the real artistry displayed here. The songs that aren’t intentionally tongue-in-cheek are impressive on a whole different level.

Myspace

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Erik sits about the same place on my rundown and an album that I really like, but not one i go to when i want something fun. Hot Legs - I think i remember you writing about them and thinking oh i must check them out. Then i never did - remedying that now...

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home