Your Ad Here

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Top 50 Singles of 2009: 50-46

50. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero



The furthest they’ve come to obtaining that infamous label of poptastic. The video, especially, shows Karen O at the height of her power.

49. Alphabeat - The Spell



A reinvention of sorts, which took some getting used to. The adlibs and synthesizers are ever better than the main melody.

48. Aqua - My Mamma Said



The group’s most mature, achingly beautiful song with a dark, artsy video to match. Far removed from novelty pop.

47. Carolina Liar - Show Me What I'm Looking For



The biggest radio ballad of the summer, they stuffed this one to the brim with drama and layered a hands-swaying-in-the-air chorus on top.

46. Janet Jackson - Make Me



The most Janet Jackson sounding single she’s released in a long while, it’s not among her best, but even autopilot Janet is better than most.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

I'm so behind on commenting on your year end posts so I'm having a mammoth catch up now... The Spell by Alphabeat was rather marvelous; still is. I'd have preferred DJ for the second single but Hole in my Heart will do equally nicely :) Janet made me actually pay attention to her for the first time in ages, and the Caroline Liar song - well I finally got into that when they overused it for a Time Traveller's Wife commercial on tv over here!! Now wouldn't that have made a better winner's single for the X Factor if they were going to pilfer from this year...

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home