Your Ad Here

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Pop Blitz 2/3/10

Marina & The Diamonds - Hollywood
I'm still not entirely in love with Marina's voice, though that's more of a personal thing. However, the song's quite nice. Subtle in a way... it doesn't really hit you over the head the first time. It's a real grower. Hopefully that means longevity. B+

Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
I'm not a country fan but I can see why this is taking America by storm right now. Somehow it sounds more like a big 80's ballad than anything. There's nothing like it on the radio right now. Very pretty. A-

Jedward - Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby) (ft. Vanilla Ice)
I'd probably hate this if I hadn't followed John & Edward on X-Factor. As it stands, it's a super fun slice of novelty pop. And it does the impossible: makes Vanilla Ice tolerable! B+

Pink - Glitter In The Air
Her performance at the Grammys catapulted this non-single to hit status and unearthed a buried gem. It's one of her most delicate ballads. Reminds me of the late 90's. A-

Black Eyed Peas - Imma Be
This is absolute crap, and represents the worst side of BEP. It's not a song. It's noise. The military could use it to drive Bin Laden out of hiding. F

Iyaz - Solo
Horrible. Basically, he took a classic song, changed the lyrics and sang it horribly. I can't believe that something like this could even be deemed radio-worthy. D-

Jason Derulo - In My Head
Maybe he won't be a one hit wonder, after all. This sounds a hell of a lot like Chris Brown, and possesses exactly 0% originality, but it's pretty catchy. Could've been a LOT worse. B

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

I'm totally with you on Pink, Jedward and Marina. Couldn't be more pleased about all of them :) Even Lady antellebum i'm eager to hear more of - that single is lovely.

1:43 AM  
Blogger joker said...

you're right, "imma be" is crap.. why is it a top5 in usa?

8:47 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Paul: that Lady Antebellum song has been in my head all day, and I don't even like country.

Joker: sadly, anything with the name "black eyed peas" on it is an instant smash over here.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home