Your Ad Here

Friday, July 23, 2010

Vintage - Mickey


"I'm not a girl, I'm not a boy"

I went back and forth about posting this, but decided that I had to because it's just so damn weird. Vintage are a Russian pop group (think lady Gaga x3) and this is their first English single. It's about Mickey Mouse. Of course it's also about all sorts of deep stuff like commercialization and youth sexualization and etc etc, but on the surface it's mostly a dance track about Mickey Mouse. The video is what sold me (the version I'm linking to is an English dubbed version of the original). It's a high concept, seemingly big-budget Gaga-esque video with some very strange imagery (most notable, what appears to be a hooker Mickey Mouse). I was so taken with the looniness on display that I had to watch the thing multiple times. Sometime around the third listen, the track's multiple hooks seeped their way into my brain and I haven't been able to shake them yet. This sort of thing is generally a bit too processed for my tastes, but I've gotta admit I am liking this.

Vintage - Mickey by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists, though I have no idea where you'd buy this stuff! Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kevin (ru) said...

Nick, thanks for posting this.

Vintage is probably the only Russian pop worth attention nowadays except Sergey Lazarev.
I recommend their string of Russian-language hits which sound very attractive.
Although the lyrics are mostly crap including this English attempt.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't compare Vintage to Lady Gaga. They have been around longer.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the English version, the Russian is much stronger. The meaning's obvious in the music you don't need the words.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home