Your Ad Here

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Hoosiers - Glorious


"I'll attack from both sides"

Huge! This is a huge, gargantuan gorilla of a song, taken from the Hoosiers' new album (out today). The album is the nicest surprise of the Summer, an absolute home run for their new synth-powered sound. I'll have a full review later this week, but for now I'm posting this in the hope that it'll get you to check out the rest of the album. Though there are more obvious single choices (Unlikely Hero, please), this is the track that knocked me out on first listen. It's the kind of song that does everything I hoped it would. Bombastic, choral hook, punchy synth attack, colossal build-up in the middle eight... it all works. The verses have a catchy, Roxette vibe about them but it's the hook that makes this special. Few bands go so unashamedly huge in their sound. I had no idea The Hoosiers had it in them. It's the pleasant case of a band that expanded their sound and ambition about twenty times from their first album. Sure, it's cheesy and overblown (and the music snobs are sure to hate it), but I don't believe in guilty pleasures. This is a pleasure, pure and simple.

The Hoosiers - Glorious by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gumby said...

It's been a slow year for me music-wise. This album is definitely a highlight and is sure to be near the top of my list by the end of the year. It's a lot of fun and "Glorious" has punctured a hole in my brain and nested there since the first listen.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Myfizzypop said...

I've bought the album today mainly on your and popjustice's recommendation so it better be good. Haven't listened yet as been distracted by the new Darin set (Microphone is a killer!!)... will let you know if you owe me £7.99 :P

12:31 AM  
Blogger Poster Girl said...

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that "Unlikely Hero" is the next single. Hopefully it manages to pull in a chart result more along the lines of what their label probably wants! It'd be a shame if this good reinvention/refashioning wasn't rewarded.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home