Your Ad Here

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Billy Elliot - Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher


"We all sing together in one breath"

I'm going to be away in Vegas for a long weekend and on a self-imposed internet exile on Monday (so I can watch the X-Factor final without spoilers haha), so it's time for a Christmas song -- or at least a song with Christmas in the title -- to carry the blog through the next four days. When I was in London this past spring I saw Billy Elliot twice. It was undoubtedly one of the top three entertainment experiences of my life (right up there with The Ark at Hultsfred 2007) and by far the best show I've seen. This track, which opens the second act, is more a protest song than a holiday song, but it does have a very festive sound to it. It's one of those maddeningly catchy uptempo Elton John compositions (he wrote all the music for the show) and was stuck in my head for days after hearing it the first time. Many of the show's songs are more character-driven, but I think this works as well out of the story's context as it does in. If you haven't gotten a chance to see this show yet, it's got my highest possible recommendation. And it'll be touring the US next year! Very excited.
See you guys Tuesday!

Billy Elliot - Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the soundtrack here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger BScarbs said...

Hey, check out my blog post for a free Christmas album. I think you'll like it.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Lolligag said...

Totally random here: But do you still have the 'Bitch City' album by Under the Influence of Giants/Home Town Hero and if so, can I have it? You posted it years ago, but sadly I can't access it anymore Please help. Great blog, by the way.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Ralph said...

Thank you for the post, pretty helpful info.
scholarships for women | scholarships for moms | pharmacy technician salary

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home