Your Ad Here

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

X-Factor Wrap-up: One Direction - Forever Young & Altiyan Childs - Summer Of '69

I'm back with a double header today - two songs from my favorite acts in both UK and Australian X-Factor. Both shows have ended now, leaving behind a huge reality-show shaped hole in my viewing schedule until Idol and Melodifestivalen start early next year.


"Let us live forever"

I really did think that the momentum was there for One Direction to possibly be the first group to win the X-Factor. Instead, the prize went to boring, smug Matt Cardle, a contestant who I've never warmed to, though I'll admit he does have a good voice. For me, though, these shows have always been about more than the voice. It's all about charisma and personality, and judged by that standard these guys definitely come out on top. They've been the heart of the show this year, and always the funniest, most entertaining in video diaries and backstage clips. They're going to be huge, I'm sure (probably bigger than both Matt and Rebecca), but it was still difficult to see them go out third. Luckily, we've got their would-have-been winner's single floating around the internet, and it's really quite good. Much better than the dreary winner's songs performed on Sunday's show. Forever Young bridges the gap between their youthful pop appeal and a classic, melodic track. They sound great on it. In fact, I think a lot of people (aka: naysayers, of which there were many) will be surprised about how good this is. I only wish we could have seen it performed. Now I've just gotta wait patiently for the eventual album, reality shows, tv specials, etc.

One Direction - Forever Young by alienhits


"That summer seemed to last forever"


Now here's an example of the voting public getting it right. In an underwhelming season, Altiyan Childs (winner of Australian X-Factor) stood out as one of the best performers the franchise has seen and certainly the best "over-25" ever. If you didn't watch the program, youtube some of his performances. I think you'll be impressed. After initially flubbing his words before making it to the live shows, he found his niche performing 80's hair-metal type songs. He's got a voice to rival Adam Lambert's in its power (a little bit of Ola Salo sometimes, too), but it's his ability to perform that really set him apart. Talk about charisma. He released an EP last week of his winner's single and many of the songs he performed on the show. I chose Summer Of '69 today (which, interestingly enough, One Direction also performed) because it's one of my absolute favorite 80's songs. These studio versions always sound a little karaoke, but Altiyan's got the chops to make this really special. I love the added synth touches, too.

Altiyan Childs - Summer Of '69 by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Not much to buy yet, but be sure to youtube them. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

sadness times one million that one direction didn't win :( You could see how devastated they were by third place, though voting statistics reveal they were never really in with a shout :( Anyway, glad the winner's song for them has leaked. it's my favourite of the three and i have fingers crossed for big things for them...

9:47 PM  
Anonymous gmisk said...

Much better than Matt Cardle and much more potential...but as you say they will do well anyway.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How some you haven't mentioned that The Ark are splitting up? A Greatest Hits album and a farewell tour is due to next year.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Anon: Because I'm in denial?? Haha
Seriously, though, I'll probably do a sort of tribute post early next year. I just hope the two new tracks are worth it.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home