Your Ad Here

Friday, February 18, 2011

Melodifestivalen 2011: Heat Three - Preliminary Judging

Okay, here we go. As always, these quick reviews are based only on the short clips svt has provided and are likely to change. Makes it more fun!

(Listen to clips here)

Linda Sundblad - Lucky You
I'm worried about this. I've been a longtime Linda fan, but I'm not into this clip. It sounds far too much like too many other songs and the repetitive chorus isn't grabbing me. I hope that it improves when I hear it in full, because I was really looking forward to this entry. 2.5/5

Simon Forsberg - Tid att andas (Time to Breathe)
A slow, syrupy ballad. Ballads have had rotten luck in the competition this year so far, so I'm not sure what his chances are. I'd rate them better than Elisabeth's last year, but this song sounds equally as dull. 2/5

Sara Lumholdt - Enemy
I'm not all that thrilled with this entry either. From the clip, it sounds like some sub-par American pop song ( a Jordin Sparks b-side?), without a lot of creativity. I hope I'm wrong, but so far this is looking like the weakest heat this year by far. 2.5/5

The Playtones - The King
A little bit of rockabilly. Why not? It's not my thing at all, but at least it's got some energy. It'll probably do well, but won't go down as one of my favorites. Still (and quite sadly) it sounds the most promising of the songs so far. 3/5

Shirley's Angels - I Thought It Was Forever
I expected such a different sound from this. I wish it was more dramatic and more uptempo. Right now, it sounds like a forgettable Ace Of Base album track. Still, I hear a bit more potential in this than in many of the other songs. 3/5

Sebastian - No One Else Could
I love Sebastian, and I love the sound of this song. This isn't some weird religious song, though, is it? From the lyrics in the chorus, I'm not so sure. But that aside, this is easily the standout so far. 4/5

Sara Varga - Spring för livet
I don't see this working at all. MF is just not the place for a pleasant jazz song. On its own, this is nice, easy listening. It just shouldn't be in the contest. 2.5/5

Eric Saade - Popular
Well, they couldn't have given him easier competition, could they? This year's most likely winner comes back with a song that sounds like all of his other songs. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though I kind of wish for something a little different. Still, this is quite obviously the best song of the week and a no-brainer to qualify to the final. Like Danny in week one, all he really needed to do was get on stage and burp and everyone would have voted. 4.5/5

After the quality of the past two weeks, this seems like such a comedown. I only hope that things improve with the show tomorrow. My guesses based on these clips? Eric and Sebastian direct to the final, Linda and the Playtones to second chance.

And next week we've got MELODY CLUB!! And, as the interval act, THE ARK! It's like my dream come to fruition :)

*I'll be blogging tomorrow throughout the show, so be sure to check back for my thoughts (and to see if my predictions come true!)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

even more excited about eric than i thought possible. Horribly disappointed by Shirley's Angels (I keep calling them Sheila's Wheels). I wanted more. Perhaps the performance will change my mind. I've become obsessed with Brolle's song and The Moniker's from last week...

11:24 AM  
Blogger alesta said...

Starting to look a lot more like a Melody Club win for each week, doesn't it?

Sebastian is my clear favourite from the clips. Really hope he gets the other ticket directly to the final! First one beeing Eric obviously.

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home