Your Ad Here

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscars 2011 Round-Up



Best Picture
It’s been a strong year for Oscar-nominated movies (less strong for movies in general). I’ve seen all ten, and there are at least half of them that I wouldn’t mind seeing get the prize. I loved The Fighter, Black Swan, The King’s Speech, Inception, Toy Story 3 and True Grit. If I had to pick one, I’d give the slight edge to The Fighter, which is odd because it was the one I was least looking forward to seeing initially. Of all the ten nominees, it was the most affecting (followed closely by The King’s Speech). I found The Social Network to be overrated, Winter’s Bone and The Kids Are Alright underwhelming, and 127 Hours quite good, but not as good as my top six.
Should Win: The Fighter
Will Win: The King’s Speech


Best Actor
It’s Colin Firth all the way with this one. I loved Jeff Bridges and James Franco as well, but Firth absolutely disappeared into his role. I’d say this is the surest bet for Oscars 2011.
Should Win: Colin Firth
Will Win: Colin Firth


Best Actress
I find it amazing that Annette Bening has become a co-frontrunner for this. Sure, she was good, but Natalie Portman was jaw-droopingly good in Black Swan. Without her, I’m not sure that movie would have worked.
Should Win: Natalie Portman
Will Win: Natalie Portman


Best Supporting Actor
Another no-brainer for me. Part of the reason why I loved The Fighter so much was Christian Bale’s ridiculously un-Christian Bale performance. Like Firth, he just disappeared into this character and really became the focal point of the movie, despite being a supporting character. Geoffrey Rush is a close second, though. He was a huge highlight in The King’s Speech.
Should Win: Christian Bale
Will Win: Christian Bale


Best Supporting Actress
This is a really tough one for me. I would honestly be happy with any of the nominees (except Jacki Weaver, but that’s only because I haven’t seen the movie). I’ve had a lot of love for Carter, Adams and Leo for some time, and each had amazing years. But then there’s Hailee Steinfeld, who absolutely made True Grit. Aargh… I’m gonna go with Adams on this, just because I think she’s overdue.
Should Win: Amy Adams
Will Win: Melissa Leo


Best Director
Oh god, Darren Aronofsky all the way (though he’ll never get it). I wish Chris Nolan had been nominated. I’d also be happy with the Coen Brothers, but they’ve won too recently. I think there will be a split between picture and director this year.
Should Win: Darren Aronofsky
Will Win: Davind Fincher

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous gmisk said...

The Fighter = the wrestler light....definitely not a best picture winner for me.

Nolan should definitely have been up for best director.

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Ark Army said...

You picked very well. I haven't seen the Fighter yet but it's on my list of things to see. Totally agree with you reg. Annette Bening and a total surprise for best director. Anyway. Seems like you are into the Oscars, I might have to invite you to attend with me one year. ;-)

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home