Your Ad Here

Friday, June 03, 2011

Pop Blitz 6/3/11

The Wanted - Glad You Came
The world's most relevant boyband (currently, at least) returns with a new single inspired by European dance hits of the past few years. It's a natural transition and an interesting choice for them. The production definitely works. I think I'm going to need to give the melody a chance to grow, though. B+

Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
I didn't even know they were releasing a new single this month. I've never been as big a fan as some (always preferred Keane, to be honest), and although this doesn't have the wow factor that Viva La Vida had, it's much better than I expected. I dig the power pop melody, though the production feels a little muddled. B

Pitbull - Give Me Everything
Does it sound like all of the other urban/dance hybrids out there? Yep. But it's at least a pretty solid example of the genre. It'll sound dated in about a month, but there are definitely worse things out there. B-

Joe Jonas - See No More
This project had so much potential, but this song is not very good. The verses are nonexistent and the chorus sounds like a weak Jesse McCartney track. I never really liked the Jonas Brothers, but their singles were better than this. C-

Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar
This is a real throwback, and I'm happy to see such a strong soul track doing well in the UK. It's the Adele factor, I guess. People are into this kind of stuff. It's got a real authenticity to it and is spot-on lyrically for this particular moment in time. B

Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
I've tried to get into the whole Minaj thing, but it hasn't been easy. I do like this. It's got that crazy sound you want with Nicki's music, but doesn't forget a strong(ish) hook. B

Alex Gaudino - What A Feeling
Kelly Rowland again ventures into the dance realm with this collaboration. It's, as usual, a great match for her vocals. The song could be stronger, but it'll do for the Summer. B+

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home