Your Ad Here

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Top Five Movies of Summer 2011 (+1)

Summer is a terrific time for movies. This year, I counted the "summer season" as starting on April 29th with the release of Fast Five. Between then and now, there have been six movies that I've absolutely loved. Of course, there were a handful of disappointments as well (Transformers, Cowboys & Aliens) and train wrecks (Green Lantern), but overall I'd say the quality level was above average in 2011. None of these (except maybe one) could be described as anything but summer tentpole films, but there's nothing wrong with that. The awesome indie movies are waiting just around the corner for Fall. As for Summer entertainment, here were my favorites:

1. Super 8/Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. II
I just couldn't pick between these two. One was the finale of the greatest film series ever made and, because of that, was impossible to separate from the excellent movies that had come before it. The other was the most refreshing, exciting, and nostalgic film of the summer. I'm obsessed with both. Dangerously obsessed.

2. X-Men: First Class
I'm a massive fan of this franchise, and this reboot/prequel ranks among the best in the series. The cast was wonderful, the story was gripping, and the choice to set the action in the 60's was inspired.

3. The Help
The only genuinely triumphant "serious" picture of the summer, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time (funny, since this is the only film on my list that couldn't be described as an "action" movie). Best acting of the summer, and very powerful.

4. Fast Five
I've never been a fan of this series, but I took a chance on this one and was so glad that I did. The action sequences... my god the action sequences! Forget the acting, forget the storytelling. This was one of the best "popcorn movies" I've ever seen. That scene at the end? Craaaazy.

5. Captain America
It actually shocked me how much I liked this one. I wouldn't have pegged it as having a chance to be on my list, but good old fashioned adventure storytelling made this something very special. Great cast, too.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home