Your Ad Here

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Rhydian - The Promise


"If you'll wait around awhile, I'll make you fall for me"

While the winner of the 2007 UK X-Factor has faded into obscurity, the runner-up, Rhydian Roberts, has quietly carved out a nice little pop opera career for himself. I loved him on the show, but only when he did the crossover songs--pop or rock with just a taste of opera. Because of this, his first two albums weren't of much interest to me. They could've been released by someone like Josh Groban and I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference. But for his third full-length, Rhydian's done something very special. He's recorded an entire album of obscure 80's covers. It's the perfect move, really, and something I always hoped he'd do. This track was originally a single (their only successful one) by British pop group When In Rome in 1988. Rhydian sounds great on the track. He amps up the tempo a bit and takes the track to the dancefloor. In some ways, it's got a strong Malena Ernman La Voix sound to it. I could imagine something like this going down very well in a venue like Melodifestivalen.

02 The Promise by ConeheadUK

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home