Your Ad Here

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Nightwish - Song Of Myself


"A song of need of a courageous symphony"

This new Nightwish album is something else. It's like they took their last one and blew it up to twice the size. If you're a fan of huge orchestral rock, Tim Burton/Danny Elfman, rock musicals or massive choral vocals, you've got to give this a listen. Song Of Myself is the climax of the album, coming at the very end and lasting over thirteen minutes. Of course, the last half of the song is more spoken word poetry than melody, so it does cut itself in two very neatly. And while the last 6-7 minutes makes more sense in the context of the album, the "song" portion is immediately accessible to anyone. I'm a sucker for drama, and this delivers like crazy. In a word, it is epic like nothing else has been epic this year. And I thought Storytime was big! Of course, me being the obsessive music resequencer/cut-and-paster that I am, I've found a way to make this album even better. Basically, combining the best elements from Imaginaerium and their last album, Dark Passion Play, makes something that's pretty much perfect. Maybe I'll post my tracklist later.



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Scott said...

Holy bombast, Batman! This is exactly the kind of music I wanted Evanescence to make. Thanks for bringing Nightwish into my sphere of knowledge!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty cool. I've been enjoying the songs you are featuring here. I have a request/suggestion for a posting, though. Why not make a list of your favorite Christmas albums? :)

6:37 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Scott, it's an amazing album. There's a couple songs I'd trim, but the highlights are so high that it more than makes up for them. A song called "Last Ride of the Day" is very similar to this one.

Anon... nice idea! I may have to devote a post to Christmas songs as we get closer...

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Gerd said...

Very cool song - I already ordered the full album ;-)

And here comes the second request for a christmas list - but I would prefer your favourite christmas songs, not albums. As I'm always blown away from what songs you feature each and every week, I was wondering if you have some unusuall (swedish, norwegian, whatever ...) songs that you are listening to during christmas time :-)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Just a thought, why is Nightwish on this blog? It's like the furthest away from the music you usually write about. Not that I dont like it but still :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Martin,
The only requirement for this blog is that it's gotta be music I love, so it's not focused on any one genre. I'm obviously a huge pop fan, so most of the stuff falls into that category, but you need look no farther than my #1 album of last year to know that I love me some bombastic rock and roll.

Scott and Gerd,
Christmas songs coming on Monday!!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Well if you like Nightwish the you probably like Within Temptation? :) Saw them at The Hultsfred festival in Sweden a couple of years ago. That was awesome!

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Song of Myself is amazing. I would have preferred it without the spoken word/poetry. I wish I knew how to trim it from the song.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home