Your Ad Here

Friday, March 23, 2012

Flashback Friday: Frank Stallone - Far From Over


"You made your choice and now my chance is over"

Whenever I feel like I need a burst of energy, or even a release of nervous energy, I put this song on and let it just take me away. It is an incredible piece of over-the-top cheese. And when I say over-the-top, I mean so far out that you'd need a pair of wings to catch it. It's pump-you-up music, and it also marks the sweet spot during the early 80's where disco was fading and colliding with rock and new wave. I'm a particular fan of this era, as I think disco-rock is one of the most entertaining and underutilized genres in pop music. Far From Over is taken from the soundtrack to Staying Alive, the "sequel" to Saturday Night Fever. It was Frank Stallone's biggest hit (and yes, that's the same Stallone as his brother Sylvester), but I prefer to think it was due to Vince DiCola's influence as co-songwriter that this song is as amazing as it is. You see, DiCola also wrote my childhood anthem, uber-perfect power ballad The Touch from the 80's Transformers soundtrack. So, his work has been ingrained in me from a very early age. Everything's so serious nowadays. Where are big, cheesy songs like this one?



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Stebleton said...

Holy cow, this is like the entire 1980's distilled into one song. And not surprisingly, it calls to mind "Montage" from Team America.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home