Your Ad Here

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Marina & The Diamonds - The State Of Dreaming


"My life is a play"

I loved Marina & The Diamonds' first album, so I'm psyched to have new material from her. If you count the bonus tracks on the new album, there's quite a lot to wade through. As a whole, I'm not sure that it reaches the heights of the first one, but I need to spend some more time with it. After all, the first album took awhile to grow on me. But even if I need some time to let it sit, there are a few tracks that instantly struck me. I love it when Marina goes full-on 80's--surging melody, singalong hook. The State of Dreaming starts off slow, but soon catapults into one of the album's most driving beats, complete with orchestral flourishes and some of the sharpest production of the year. Marina's songs are always meticulously produced. That's one of the things I love about them. So what do you guys think? Have you heard the new album?

The song is (stupidly) blocked from embedding, so you'll have to click this link to hear it.

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Gunnar said...

This will most likely end up being my favorite album of 2012, or close to it!!! The concept and ideas she's spreading with this album are unmistakenly true. It's cohesive, but each song can stand on its own. Highlights for me are of course The State of Dreaming, but also: definitely Primadonna, Lies, Power & Control, Living Dead, Teen Idle, Radioactive (pure bliss and always will be), Sex Yeah!, Lonely Hearts Club, and Buy The Stars is beautiful beyond your wildest imagination.
I do not dislike any song on this album; I truely think she exceeded beyond the limits of what an album "should be"

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home